I love making food for friends and family, so when I read that the recipe for these cupcakes only made 12, I knew I would have to double it! My sisters and I always use our trusted cupcake recipe but I thought it was time to step up and try something new – these marble cupcakes with rocky road topping looked like they might actually be worthy competition to our favourites.
I was excited to find that everybody that tried them loved them. The cupcakes are moist and colourful and the rocky road topping is so deliciously rich (you really can only eat one of these at a time). Have fun baking them!
I’ve split the following recipe into two components – the marbled cupcake and the rocky road top.
Recipe adapted from Classic Cupcakes by the Australian Women’s Weekly. Makes about 24 cupcakes.
- 250g butter
- 1 tsp vanilla
- 1+ 1/3 C caster sugar
- 4 eggs
- 2+ 1/2 C self raising flour
- 2/3 C milk
- pink food colouring
- 2 tbsp cocoa powder
- 4 tsp milk, extra
- Preheat oven to 160 C (fan forced) and line muffin tins with paper cases.
- Beat butter, extract, sugar and eggs with an electric or stand mixer until light and fluffy. Add the sifted flour and milk to the mixture in three batches, stirring between additions.
- Split the mixture into three bowls. Add the cocoa and extra milk to the first bowl and stir to combine. Add a couple of drops of pink food colouring to the second bowl and stir to combine. Leave the third bowl as is.
- Add one spoon of each coloured mix to each cupcake case. Use a skewer to swirl the batter slightly to create the marbled effect.
- Bake in the oven for about 25 minutes, or until a skewer comes out clean.
- Allow to cool before decorating with rocky road topping.
Rocky Road Topping
- 250g pink and white marshmallows, chopped
- 300g red glace cherries, halved
- 1 C unsalted peanuts
- 1 C flaked coconut
- 400g melted milk chocolate
- 50g extra melted milk chocolate to drizzle over the top
- Mix all ingredients (except a couple of the marshmallows) together in a bowl.
- Use a spoon to add the mixture to the top of the cooled cupcakes.
- Add extra marshmallows to the top of the cupcakes and drizzle the extra milk chocolate over the top to hold it all together. Enjoy!